The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output. The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. Fill the following Position.
Shoot Edit, BBC Africa Sport Job at BBC World Service Jobs in Nigeria .
Position: Shoot Edit, BBC Africa Sport
Job Reference: BBC/TP/900558/24325
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020
Reports to: Head of West Africa
- We are setting up a new BBC Sports unit in English, Swahili and French with additional content for our African language services. This is a multimedia unit producing a weekly TV programme for TV, digital content websites and social as well as daily content for news services in various languages.
See More Information
- To provide high-quality and creative filming from the field, edit video and feed the material back to base.
- Working closely with a Reporter you will be responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment.
- You will visually shape ideas for BBC Africa and the whole range of BBC Africa News multimedia content as well as contribute your own story ideas.
- Work in a new Africa Sport Unit and work across all platforms.
- You need to demonstrate that you are experienced in filming and delivering creative ideas for digital and TV.
- Acquire excellent knowledge of news and current affairs in Africa and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media news coverage.
- Works closely with reporters to develop scripts and occasionally writing material.
- Field-producing news coverage, when needed.
- Works abroad and in hostile environments
- You may be required to work on other genres at times
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and a working grasp of at least one major Nigerian language.
- Offers creative ideas on how to film and illustrate news stories and features.
- Films and sends video to base on breaking news stories
- Shoots and edits complete news features
- Records reporter links and pieces to camera in creative ways and to edit full programmes.
- Shoots video of the best quality for either live transmission or recording, provides a representative visual and audio account of events which includes camerawork, sound work and lighting in the field and where required, at base.
- Occasionally, undertake interviews and some production duties on location in both recorded and live situations.
- Responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment, often on their own. Liaising effectively and establishing good relationships with all other contacts both outside and within the BBC.
- Maintains professional standards of accuracy and impartiality and fair dealing in line with BBC guidelines.
- Contributes to the development of operational procedures and maximizes the use of existing and new technology.
- Operates within the BBC’s Safety and Editorial policy guidelines. At all times maintaining professional journalistic, ethical and technical standards.
- Contributes original ideas to improve the visual and journalistic content of the story and being aware of the different styles and formats.
- Chooses, prepares and edits material for broadcast and meeting strict transmission deadlines.
- Sets up and coordinates on-site facilities to meet programme needs, including leading teams e.g. on multiple camera shoots.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
- Candidates will have relevant experience in a creative video or film environment, practicing a range of location craft skills (e.g. camerawork / lighting / editing / location facilities). They will be able to demonstrate strong interest in and proven commitment to content that appeals to an African audience and excellent news contacts.
- Ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with colleagues across BBC Sport and with organisations outside the BBC. Exercise diplomacy with people where necessary.
- Values variety and individual differences and help create a culture, environment and practices which respect and value differences.
- Demonstrable editorial awareness and judgment combined with a thorough understanding of the editorial aims and policies of the BBC.
- The successful candidate will be required to travel at short notice and may be needed to work across Africa, sometimes for several days and may be asked to work in hostile environments.
- Experience of filming, editing and packaging content for TV, digital and radio.
- Must have the full range of location craft and technical skills, the ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location and at base, demonstrating a well-developed sense of visual awareness and a willingness to learn how to use new technology and kit.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload, react positively to situations at short notice and plan ahead.
- Excellent digital skills with track record of researching and discovering stories and after appropriate training use PNG, Quickfire and other newsgathering systems.
Incumbents are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement: Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of sport coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of decisions.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing Others: Presents sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, including influencing the agenda of targeted outlets.
- Creative thinking: Translates sport news into high quality programming through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media. Have imaginative ideas of different story treatments and ideas.
- Manage relationships and team working: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people both internally and externally to the BBC. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.