The West African Manuscripts Crowdsourcing Project Fellowship is aimed at individuals from Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Senegal
This fellowship will be hosted by the Endangered Archives Programme (EAP). The Programme is of international prominence in its mission to preserve documentary heritage at risk of destruction, neglect or physical deterioration. EAP funds projects from all over the world, to create digital copies of collections and deposit these both locally and within the British Library.
The Chevening Fellow will develop a community crowdsourcing project to improve the discoverability of approximately 10,000 digitised West African manuscripts in Arabic script. The EAP team is keen to ensure these manuscripts are assigned Arabic titles within the Library’s catalogue, making them more accessible to local communities. There is a current imbalance between titles being in original script, English or non-standard transliterations. The Library’s Digital Research team will provide guidance to the Fellow on all aspects of setting up and overseeing the crowdsourcing elements of the project.
The Fellow will oversee and promote the crowdsourcing project, drawing upon their already established contacts and developing new ones. The Fellow’s understanding of West African manuscript culture and interested communities will bring expertise, support and guidance to the project, harnessing contributions from the crowdsourcing project and preparing the integration of the new data into the Library’s catalogue.
- Set up a crowdsourcing project for West African manuscripts using Zooniverse (guidance will be provided)
- Promote the crowdsourcing project within West Africa as well as relevant institutions outside of the region
- Engage with the community of contributors
- Help promote the project more widely through blog articles and collection highlights on the Library’s webpage, to encourage further engagement with the collections
- Create at least 5,000 titles in Arabic, to be incorporated into the Library’s catalogue
- Create a step-by-step guide on setting up a crowdsourcing project
- Create a document about lessons learnt, with opportunity to develop insights into an article and/or a presentation for the UK Libraries & Archives Group on Africa (SCOLMA)
- An article about the project on the Asian and African Studies blog or in an external newsletter/journal
- A show & tell session/staff talk
- Fluency in reading Arabic/Ajami script
- Demonstrable knowledge of Islamic manuscript culture
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Excel spreadsheets
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Familiarity with using social media
- Interest in Digital Humanities
- Understanding of cataloguing metadata
- Written French
- 12-month period of project-based activity at the British Library
- Living expenses for the duration of the fellowship
- Return economy airfare from home country to the UK
- Up to £1,000 from the British Library for approved project-related expenses
- Access to a programme of cultural events and activities organised by the FCDO and the Chevening Secretariat
- Access to a highly regarded global network of over 50,000 Chevening Alumni
Individuals must be residents in their home country at the time of making their application.
This fellowship is open to candidates from Mali/Niger, Nigeria and Senegal
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Chevening West African Manuscripts Crowdsourcing Project Fellowship 2023
Application Deadline: 1 November 2022
USA Jobs Recruitment | Latest Job Vacancies – Apply Now
UK Best Top 10 Job Recruitment Site – Apply Here
USA Top 25 Best International Nursing Recruitment Agencies – Apply Here
Medical Jobs Offers in Canada with Good Payment
Canadian Armed Forces Recruitment 2022/2023 – Canada Forces.ca Application Form Portal
USA Job Recruitment Application Form Portal – www.usajobs.gov
Edwin Clark University Job Recruitment Application Form Portal – Apply Here
Hallmark University Job Recruitment Application Portal – How to Apply
Ambrose Alli University Recruitment Application Portal – Apply Here
Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) Young Engineers Programme 2022
IBEDC Recruitment Application Form Portal 2022/2023 – Apply Here
Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa Recruitment 2022 – Apply Now
AEDC Job Recruitment Application Form Portal – Apply Here
Oando Plc Recruitment Application Form Portal – Apply Here
How to be updated regularly
Kindly subscribe to the site using your Email address for more updates for FREE
- Subscribe to the site www.joecrackconcept.com using your Email address. Subscription is totally FREE
- LIKE our Facebook page for direct updates
- FOLLOW our Twitter News Handle for updates
Joecrackconcept.com is a job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants.
Joecrackconcept.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant secure a job, loan, grant or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Joecrackconcept admins will never call any applicant requesting for payment of my kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are absolutely free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters