The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna.
It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
READ- Exxon Mobil Corporation Graduate Internship Programme – Apply Now
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Associate Programme Officer (Terrorism Prevention)
Job Opening Number: 22-Drug Control and Crime Prevent-UNODC-180018-R-Abuja (E)
Job Code Title: Associate Crime Prevention And Criminal Justice Officer
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Setting and Reporting
- The position is located in the Country Office in Nigeria (CONIG) of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the UNODC Representative for Nigeria and the substantive guidance of the Chief of Implementation Support Section (ISS) II of the Terrorism Prevention Branch (TPB), Division for Treaty Affairs (DTA) at UNODC headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
READ- Guinness Nigeria Plc Recruitment for Sachet Machine Operator – Apply Now
- Within the assigned authority, the incumbent will provide substantive, coordination and administrative support with the implementation of project activities specifically for Nigeria, aimed at strengthening the capacities of criminal justice counterparts to prevent and counter terrorism.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following specific duties/tasks:
- Assist with conceptualizing, planning, organizing and implementing technical and capacity building assistance activities for Nigeria, aimed at strengthening the capacities of criminal justice and other relevant counterparts to prevent and counter terrorism, violent extremism and related crimes.
- Contribute to overall programme coordination and management of capacity building projects through support for the organizational, logistics, administrative, and financial aspects, including recruitment of consultants, procurement and budgetary matters; identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommend corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
- Provide assistance to ensuring that the work programme and the activities are carried out in coordination with other relevant entities, including UNODC regional desk, country and regional offices and other global programmes, and in liaison with relevant organizations of the United Nations system and as well as with other international/regional organizations and Member States.
- Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs, including background papers, briefing material/notes, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications and, as required, official correspondence of the Office. Make presentations, as needed, on assigned topics.
- Contribute to programmatic and administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Office, such as coordination of the preparation of workplans, programme monitoring and programme reporting.
- Undertake travel as it may be required.
- Coordinate the participation of counterparts in online and in-person technical assistance activities and contribute to meetings and activities with the delivery of substantive presentations and technical briefings tailored to counterparts on issues relevant to terrorism prevention.
- Support the development of project proposals, including organizing discussions with counterparts and donors and ensuring that each proposal is based on the stated needs of the beneficiary countries, and contributing to the preparation of project proposal narratives and budgets.
- Assist and contribute to the drafting of relevant project reports, related fund-raising and support project monitoring and evaluation.
- Perform other work-related duties as required.
READ- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Recruitment 2022 for Trainees – Regulatory Affairs
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in International Law or Criminal law, Political Science, International Relations or related fields OR the successful completion of the Young Professionals Programme Examination (YPP), the United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P) is required.
- A First level University Degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible professional experience in terrorism prevention in the area of criminal justice and rule of law or the successful passing of the Young Professionals Programme Examination/United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P) is required.
- Work experience in organizing meetings, conferences, seminars etc., including their substantive, logistic, communication and administrative aspects is desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations system or another similar international organization is desirable.
- Work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is desirable.
- Work experience in supporting the implementation of technical assistance projects in the context of terrorism prevention or a directly related field is desirable.
- Work experience with project budgeting and monitoring is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
- Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to counter- terrorism.
- Has knowledge of the mandates of UNODC. Has ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems.
- Is able to plan and organize technical assistance workshops, meetings, conferences, seminars at the national and regional level, including their substantive, logistic, administrative, and financial aspects. Is able to support project management including project monitoring.
- Has ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of the subject matters. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Has conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, has knowledge in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases.
READ- Techno Oil Limited Recruitment, Careers & Job Vacancies: Apply Here
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
- This is a project post. Filling of this position is subject to funding availability and the initial appointment will be for a period of one year. Extension of the appointment is subject to extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
- The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Closing Date: 8th June, 2022 (11:59PM)
How to be updated regularly
Kindly subscribe to the site using your Email address for more updates for FREE
- Subscribe to the site www.joecrackconcept.com using your Email address. Subscription is totally FREE
- LIKE our Facebook page for direct updates
- FOLLOW our Twitter News Handle for updates
- In case of any issue or challenge or question